Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5858f100.hantslug.org.uk.10874': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Feb 15 21:45:16 2013 GMT
gpg: using RSA key 9CDA8911AF0DB8C8
On Wednesday 13 Feb 2013, Ally Biggs wrote:
> Do you guys ever think there will be a day that Linux will be as popular as
> Windows in the desktop market.

By which I assume you mean in the UK? Linux is very popular in some place
already. If you include tablets, then Linux kernel powered devices are eating
domestic PC sales alive...

> Personally I can't see this happening anytime soon. This isn't a personal
> attack on Linux just want to get some thoughts and inspiration.

You are probably correct that the UK PC market isn't going to see a big switch
to Linux any time soon. However it is possible that the PC market may die a
lot faster than people think in which case it will become a moot point.

> The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan and
> something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added your
> average user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a terminal or
> spending hours finding the solution into a community.

I would say that the same is true of Windows. I know lots of people who get a
new PC because the new printer won't work with the old PC (or vice-a-versa).

Most people have no idea about computers of any kind and are totally thrown
when it doesn't work the way it did yesterday. In many respects Linux is no
worse than Windows.

> The other problem I found is the community alot of people expect you to be
> some kind of command line genius who is capable of reciting the whole
> encyclopaedia of man pages.

Being able to use the command line is important if you are administering
computers. You can do with a few keystrokes what it would take you forever
with a point and click interface.

For a single computer you don't need to use the command line much if at all if
you are just using it. I know plenty of computer illiterate pensioners who are
happy to use Linux and have never typed a command in their life and I don't
expect them ever to have to.

You can learn the CLI slowly and it will pay dividends, you'll be amazed how
easy some things become when you know how to do it with a script...!

> So when you ask for help or guidance you often get a dismissive response.

While that can be common in some places, I sincerely hope that isn't the case
here.

> Documentation is horrendous aswell especially if you are making the
> transition from Windows. Pick up a starting to learn Linux book and a
> couple of pages in you end up with the worlds worst headache.

I would ignore the transition from Windows aspect to start with. Most
documentation for most things is terrible, doesn't matter what it is, Windows,
Mac or Linux. There is good documentation and that's where you need to start.
The second problem is that in my opinion Windows teaches you a lot of bad
habits and concepts and unlearning them is painful.

> So how did you guys learn Linux?

Slowly and by asking a friend.

> Has anyone else made the transition from Windows?

Yes. Now I look at Windows 7 and cringe it's so crude and frustrating in so
many ways.

> Or what are the key areas to focus on to develop a good foundation.
> Need some inspiration if I go down the Linux route would I be missing
> out on much? Please help me resolve the tug of war it is driving me mad :)

You need to decide what you actually want to do. Do you want to become a
system administrator? Do you want to do servers or desktops? Do you want to do
scripting? Do you want to concentrate on a sub system like databases or web
servers?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
 provides more security than wiping with decimal values."
    -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160