Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
Hi Ally,

On 13/02/13 16:31, Ally Biggs wrote:
> Do you guys ever think there will be a day that Linux will be as
> popular as Windows in the desktop market.

Given Windows has ~90%+ market share, I fail to see how mathematically
any other distro can be "as popular" as Windows without Windows
disappearing completely. Won't happen.

However if your question was "will there be a day when Linux has
comparable market share to Windows on the desktop" I'd probably say no,
but be hopeful that we can get a better chunk of the market than we
currently have.

> Making the transition from Windows to Linux was challenging initially
> I probably will continue to learn Linux (Redhat, Debian) for server
> related tasks and use Win 7 for client tasks.

I recently (1.5 years ago) installed Ubuntu for a retired chap who had
only ever used Windows. He requested it because he was sick of viruses
and slow-downs of Windows. I printed out a getting started guide and
allocated ~2 hours to walk him through the basics of Ubuntu.

I'd no sooner finished my tea when he said "ok, I think I have got it
all" and I left. I've so far had two support requests from him, which
was to clarify a webcam issue with Skype and to confirm that he should
be installing updates when prompted to. He's still using it.

One persons nightmare is another persons dream.

> The thing which bothers me though about Linux ok it's free and if you
> have the skills you can do great things but why isn't it being
> adopted more for everyday use. Also why don't the developers
> standardise a distribution for the home user i.e same package manager
> and packages.

Because history, ego, momentum and coprorate requirements.

> The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan
> and something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added
> your average user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a
> terminal or spending hours finding the solution into a community.

Same goes for Windows.

It's a giant misconception that "Windows = works", "Linux = OMG! It's
broken, I need a nerd!".

Ordinary people who use Windows have just the same anxiety about their
systems as ordinary people who use Linux. They will speak to a techy
nerd at work, or someone in their family for support. Same goes for a
non-expert using a smartphone (of any ilk) for the first time.

I still get requests for Windows support from my father in law, some
years after I told him I didn't want to support it anymore. Some of
these issues (poor wifi connection, bad printer support, video driver
issues) are _exactly_ the same issues that we have on Linux.

The way to fix the issue differs, but it's still the same warm body
wearing a geeky t-shirt who fixes it, irrespective of the OS or hardware
involved.

> The other problem I found is the community alot of people expect you
> to be some kind of command line genius who is capable of reciting the
> whole encyclopaedia of man pages. So when you ask for help or
> guidance you often get a dismissive response.

Those people are dicks. Avoid them. :)

> Documentation is horrendous aswell especially if you are making the
> transition from Windows. Pick up a starting to learn Linux book and a
> couple of pages in you end up with the worlds worst headache.

Depends on the book.

This is a good one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubuntu-Made-Easy-Project-Based-Introduction/dp/1593274254/ref=sr_1_1

> So how did you guys learn Linux?

Installed it and played with it for oh, uhm 15 years or so. Still not an
expert.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope