Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On Wednesday 13 February 2013 22:02:32 Alan Pope wrote:
> I recently (1.5 years ago) installed Ubuntu for a retired chap who had
> only ever used Windows. He requested it because he was sick of viruses
> and slow-downs of Windows. I printed out a getting started guide and
> allocated ~2 hours to walk him through the basics of Ubuntu.

When I installed and set up Linux for my husband, the original technophobe, I
printed out a sheet of instructions which included things like "turn it on at
the socket on the wall. The socket has a red sticker on it." and "take out
your Wisden's and read it for a bit". I then gave him a run through. After
3 weeks, when he had not once asked for help, I commented on the fact, and he
said: "I don't have to. It just works." More recently he said: "Why do
people think that Linux is hard when it is so easy?"

Lisi