Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 10:33:58 -0500
jlk@??? wrote:

> I see a slightly different future for Linux. The desktop, for many,
> will disappear. The Chromebook is a V2.0 successor to the Network
> Computer. It's a computing device. Read you email: Open a browser
> tab for G-Mail. Edit a document/spread sheet/presentation: Open a
> browser tab for Google Docs/Sheets/Slides \

that sort of thing will never replace a desktop computer for me and I
don't need mobile computing.

I don't really like the look of the future of computing if it means
more and more touch devices and apps/data stored 'in the cloud' or
whatever.

Our current systems should last out our (my wife and I) lifetimes and
we'll not need istuff or googlestuff or chromestuff.

I was in fact a bit horrified to read that my favourite browser is to
use chrome stuff in the near future, I quite like Opera the way it is
now. I can always put a hold on the current version though, at least I
have a choice ;-)

Yup! I am a luddite but at my age I'm entitled to be one.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server