Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: jlk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 2013-02-13 17:02, Alan Pope wrote:
> Hi Ally,
>
> On 13/02/13 16:31, Ally Biggs wrote:
>> Do you guys ever think there will be a day that Linux will be as
>> popular as Windows in the desktop market.
>>

> Given Windows has ~90%+ market share, I fail to see how
> mathematically any other distro can be "as popular" as Windows
> without
> Windows disappearing completely. Won't happen.
>
> However if your question was "will there be a day when Linux has
> comparable market share to Windows on the desktop" I'd probably say
> no, but be hopeful that we can get a better chunk of the market than
> we currently have.

I see a slightly different future for Linux. The desktop, for many,
will disappear. The Chromebook is a V2.0 successor to the Network
Computer. It's a computing device. Read you email: Open a browser tab
for G-Mail. Edit a document/spread sheet/presentation: Open a browser
tab for Google Docs/Sheets/Slides \

Chromebooks can do a lot of things, but they can do many things that
many end users want to do.

>> Making the transition from Windows to Linux was challenging
>> initially
>> I probably will continue to learn Linux (Redhat, Debian) for server
>> related tasks and use Win 7 for client tasks.
>>

> I recently (1.5 years ago) installed Ubuntu for a retired chap who
> had only ever used Windows. He requested it because he was sick of
> viruses and slow-downs of Windows. I printed out a getting started
> guide and allocated ~2 hours to walk him through the basics of
> Ubuntu.
>
> I'd no sooner finished my tea when he said "ok, I think I have got it
> all" and I left. I've so far had two support requests from him, which
> was to clarify a webcam issue with Skype and to confirm that he
> should
> be installing updates when prompted to. He's still using it.
>
> One persons nightmare is another persons dream.
>
>> The thing which bothers me though about Linux ok it's free and if
>> you
>> have the skills you can do great things but why isn't it being
>> adopted more for everyday use. Also why don't the developers
>> standardise a distribution for the home user i.e same package
>> manager
>> and packages.
>
> Because history, ego, momentum and coprorate requirements.
>
>> The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan
>> and something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added
>> your average user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a
>> terminal or spending hours finding the solution into a community.

Enter the Internet Computing Device: a Chromebook. Want the latest
version of your wordprocessor. Just refresh the browser window with a
document in it. Upgrade the OS. Power down you Chromebook, then power
it up. What package manager. Chromebook: I'll take care of that for
you while you just get one with what you want to do.

Gosh! I'm beginning to sound like a Linux heretic, but I'm not an
apostate!

> Same goes for Windows.
>
> It's a giant misconception that "Windows = works", "Linux = OMG! It's
> broken, I need a nerd!".

Chromebook: Where's the bigfg blue 'E'? ;-)

> Ordinary people who use Windows have just the same anxiety about
> their systems as ordinary people who use Linux. They will speak to a
> techy nerd at work, or someone in their family for support. Same goes
> for a non-expert using a smartphone (of any ilk) for the first time.
>
> I still get requests for Windows support from my father in law, some
> years after I told him I didn't want to support it anymore. Some of
> these issues (poor wifi connection, bad printer support, video driver
> issues) are _exactly_ the same issues that we have on Linux.
>
> The way to fix the issue differs, but it's still the same warm body
> wearing a geeky t-shirt who fixes it, irrespective of the OS or
> hardware involved.

Connecting to a password protected Wifi hotspot is about the most
difficult task a Chromebook user will ever encounter. You have to type
in a password! Gosh that difficult.

The Chromebooks 'remembers' the password and the hotspot. Next you go
there, is just connects and resumes what ever you were doing when you
closed the lid and put it into sleep mode.

>> The other problem I found is the community alot of people expect you
>> to be some kind of command line genius who is capable of reciting
>> the
>> whole encyclopaedia of man pages. So when you ask for help or
>> guidance you often get a dismissive response.
>>

> Those people are dicks. Avoid them. :)

There is a simple CLI for ssh. I would add: "for now" It's a 'bug' I
expect to get fixed soon.

There is also 'dev' mode. Drop into it, and all the bones of Linux are
there for you CLI enjoyment. I'll dual boot my Chromebook one of these
days when a I get a large SD card and a bit of spare time, or when I run
into a brick wall, computing wise and find I can't do something with my
CB as it is.

>> Documentation is horrendous aswell especially if you are making the
>> transition from Windows. Pick up a starting to learn Linux book and
>> couple of pages in you end up with the worlds worst headache.
>>

> Depends on the book.
>
> This is a good one.
>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubuntu-Made-Easy-Project-Based-Introduction/dp/1593274254/ref=sr_1_1

All the Chromebook 'support' documentation is online. Don't like group
Reddit, try GPlus.

>> So how did you guys learn Linux?
>
> Installed it and played with it for oh, uhm 15 years or so. Still not
> an expert.

Same here, but with a Chromebook, I just logged in and started using
it. thx Jack for setting up Roundtop so I can get my e-mail on the
Chromebook.

> Cheers,
> --
> Alan Pope

I’m waiting for “Chromebooks: Episode V”...