Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Michael Daffin
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 13 February 2013 16:31, Ally Biggs <bluechrome@???> wrote:

> I would say that I enjoy Linux more the whole Open source ethos, I
> actually feel like I am learning when using the cli as opposed to clicking
> my way through the GUI in Windows.

Then it is worth considering following the path you find more enjoyable, at
least then you will like your job better and thus work harder at it.

The thing which bothers me though about Linux ok it's free and if you have
> the skills you can do great things but why isn't it being adopted more for
> everyday use. Also why don't the developers standardise a distribution for
> the home user i.e same package manager and packages.

As others have said, this is because no two people want the same thing.
Allot of people love Ubuntu, which is probably the closest thing to what
you describe, but allot of others hate it and refuse to use it.

> The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan and
> something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added your average
> user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a terminal or spending
> hours finding the solution into a community.

I don't see this with most of the modern consumer focused distros out
there, ubuntu and similar work very hard to make all hardware just work out
the box with very little fiddling Unlike windows where you need to get the
latest driver from the manufacture before you can even get the device to
work. Most of the problems these days are with devices
from manufacturers that refuse to play well with linux, there is not much
that linux can do about these but despite that they do try hard to get
things to work. Since using linux I have had far less problems with drivers
then I ever had with windows, I have never needed to purge and reinstall a
driver nor do I even need to mess around with config files anymore.

The other problem I found is the community alot of people expect you to be
> some kind of command line genius who is capable of reciting the whole
> encyclopaedia of man pages. So when you ask for help or guidance you often
> get a dismissive response.

This is not true, or rather it entirely depends on which
linux communality you are part of. For example, the community on
http://www.kubuntuforums.net is very very helpful and friendly, quite often
going that extra mile to help people understand the problem and help them
learn more. But other communities such as the Gentoo one can be allot
harsher as they expect you to be a more advanced user to begin with.

Documentation is horrendous aswell especially if you are making the
> transition from Windows. Pick up a starting to learn Linux book and a
> couple of pages in you end up with the worlds worst headache.

Checkout the Archlinux wiki, it is the best linux wiki around for finding
out how something works generally in a very easy to understand fashion. If
you are intrested in learning how linux works, rather then just how to use
linux I highly recomend attempting to install archlinux in a vm. This will
teach you allot about how other distros do things as it does not hide the
technical details from the end user, but also keeps
their architecture simple and easy to understand. Even just reading their
beginners guide (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners'_Guide) you
will learn allow about how linux works, which will help you to understand
other systems as well.

> So how did you guys learn Linux?

Mainly by trial and lots of error :D

> Has anyone else made the transition from Windows? Or what are the key
> areas to focus on to develop a good foundation. Need some inspiration if I
> go down the Linux route would I be missing out on much? Please help me
> resolve the tug of war it is driving me mad :)

All of my computers now run Linux and only Linux and I am much happier for
it, Linux can do everything that a windows computer can do and more... Even
mainstream gaming is coming to lieux thanks to Valve and Steam and Linux
has an alternative for most windows software out there that is often even
better then the windows equivalent :) You should focus on what aspects of
the system you like, there is no reliance on understanding any one side of
linux before you learn another. Though having a good understanding of the
shell is a good place to start.

Personally I like the KDE environment, so use distros that support this
well, I have found kubuntu to be good in the past, but now use Archlinux
almost exclusively as I find its simple design and transparency much nicer
for a power user and I can now get it to do what ever I want will little to
no fuss.
--
Michael Daffin <james1479@???>