Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: jlk
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 2013-02-13 15:23, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:31:53 +0000
> Ally Biggs <bluechrome@???> wrote:
>
> Hello Ally,
>
>>The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan
>>and something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added
>> your
>>average user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a terminal
>>or spending hours finding the solution into a community.
>
> The /real/ (at least, IMO) problem is that nobody needs any
> qualifications to be able to buy and/or use a computer. I can think
> of
> few, if any, equally complex pieces of technology that do not require
> some sort of required learning. Most often with a test of competence
> that needs to be passed before one is allowed to go solo. Cars,
> aeroplanes, you name it...

VCRs, now PVRs Back in the bad old days of tape VCRs, a very large
percentage of the VCR that display the time were set to 00:00 Most end
users, needed a competency course to program their VCR. I currently
have a multi-function remote that will handle the TV, Cable, and DVD,
but I can't program it to turn of the LCD screen. YMMV

> Microsoft and their ilk like to hide the nuts and bolts of their
> systems
> because it means a whole industry is created, purely to rectify the
> horrendous cock-ups many of the computer illiterate unwashed will
> perpetrate. Computers are difficult. GUIs just make it *look*
> simple.
> Frankly, the worst thing to happen to computers was the WIMP
> interface.
> At that point, it became inevitable that there would be shedloads or
> morons running computers, most of whom I wouldn't trust to run their
> own
> baths.

And Smart Phones, Tablets, TVs, Chromebooks and if Apple gets their
way, you wrist watch will 'hide' the bones of computing and just let you
point and click. ...and just get on with doing the task you wanted to
do instead of trying to service the OS-Firewall-Version skew-Security
Update-Major Upgrade of you computing device.

Yes. I'm becoming a heretic, but I'm not an apostate.

> LUG (well, any computer group really) members are, of course, not in
> the
> category I just outlined. Group members are quite knowledgeable when
> it
> comes to computers. Some of them prodigiously so. Many have
> particular
> speciality skills too, which allows them to assist those that ask for
> help when they become stuck.

And hopefully enjoying the process.