Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

> Do you guys ever think there will be a day that Linux will be as popular
> as Windows in the desktop market.

Yes.

Not for a while, for sure, but eventually, GNU/Linux will be pervasive.
Android/Linux is already getting there.

I used to think this would take tens of years, but Microsoft seems to be
falling over itself to upset users lately...

> I use both Windows and Linux have a strong interest in both but currently
> am having a tug of war with my thought patterns career wise. The majority
> of my thoughts are saying focus on learning Linux starting with Linux+
> with the eventual aim of going for the RHCSE. The other half is saying go
> down the Microsoft route taking a client exam and going for the server
> 2012 admin certs.

As far as a career goes, knowing your way round the latest Windows Server
will help. Just don't expect it to be a path to instant riches - there are
many people out there with those qualifications. Unix-type skills
generally command a higher salary, although the work can be harder to
find.

> actually feel like I am learning when using the cli as opposed to clicking
> my way through the GUI in Windows.

Bear in mind that the CLI is not the only way to do things in Linux. It is
my preference, but it tends to frighten the horses if you do too much of
it in front of a customer.

> The thing which bothers me though about Linux ok it's free and if you have
> the skills you can do great things but why isn't it being adopted more for
> everyday use.

Fear.
Uncertainty.
Doubt.

> Also why don't the developers standardise a distribution for
> the home user i.e same package manager and packages.

Because no-one can determine, for all mankind, what such a distribution
would be. Canonical has tried to do something like that, and many people
like their distribution. I'm not among that number, so if I get a choice,
I'll usually use something else.

For any preference you might have, I'll find you ten people who hate it
with a passion...

> The problem with desktop Linux I think is when the shit hits the fan and
> something needs to be configured or a driver needs to be added your
> average user isn't going to want to sit typing commands in a terminal or
> spending hours finding the solution into a community.

That's old, stinky bait someone's thrown you. It's incredibly rare to need
to do anything like that anymore. I frequently fix Windows driver problems
by using a Linux distribution to get the machine online to download the
necessary drivers...

> The other problem I found is the community alot of people expect you to be
> some kind of command line genius who is capable of reciting the whole
> encyclopaedia of man pages. So when you ask for help or guidance you often
> get a dismissive response.

That tends to be because someone thinks you're not trying. If you show
you've put the effort in, most (not all, obviously) of the community will
fall over itself to help (although some suggestions are not quite as
helpful as the poster though they would be). If your request comes over as
"my machine is broke, fix it", you'll get short shrift. It's just a case
of remembering that these people are putting in their valuable time and
skills to help out free of charge; they have no interest in becoming
someone's servant.

> Documentation is horrendous aswell

That's certainly true.

> So how did you guys learn Linux?

Found a rubbish old machine. Installed RHL on it. Thought up a few
projects to do with it.

> Has anyone else made the transition from Windows?

Several times :-)

> Or what are the key areas to focus on to develop a good foundation.

Learn to break down complex problems into component parts. The "Unix Way"
is about having each piece of code do one thing, and do it well. You then
combine those components to create your natty $thing.

HTH

Vic.