Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 14/02/2013 02:22, Keith Edmunds wrote:
> We get people applying for jobs, and sending CVs in in Word format.
> That doesn't (yet) automatically rule them out, but it tells us a lot
> about them before we've even looked at the CV.

Hm, I should defend those people.
Most of the employment agencies pretty much demand CVs in Word format
and seem unable to cope with anything else, so one is pretty much
obliged to use Word (OK, OpenOffice/LibraOffice will export pretty
well). Nobody wants to make multiple copies, though many of us will.
Lots of places even object to pdf files.

On the other hand. if you're applying direct to a Linux company, not
using Linux tools does seem like a silly oversight!

Gordon.

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.