Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Chris Malton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 14/02/13 09:35, Gordon Scott wrote:
> On 14/02/2013 02:22, Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> We get people applying for jobs, and sending CVs in in Word format.
>> That doesn't (yet) automatically rule them out, but it tells us a lot
>> about them before we've even looked at the CV.
>
> Hm, I should defend those people.
> Most of the employment agencies pretty much demand CVs in Word format
> and seem unable to cope with anything else, so one is pretty much
> obliged to use Word (OK, OpenOffice/LibraOffice will export pretty
> well). Nobody wants to make multiple copies, though many of us will.
> Lots of places even object to pdf files.

I know the feeling, my CV is part-compiled by LaTeX to PDF - and
unfortunately this is incompatible with many people. I got told
yesterday that I couldn't apply for a job because my CV wasn't in Word
format..... and I was applying for a job as a Linux System
Administrator.....

Other companies take PDFs and strip all formatting, as I discovered to
my detriment....

Chris