Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: Alan Pope
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On 14/02/13 09:52, Chris Malton wrote:
> I know the feeling, my CV is part-compiled by LaTeX to PDF - and
> unfortunately this is incompatible with many people. I got told
> yesterday that I couldn't apply for a job because my CV wasn't in Word
> format..... and I was applying for a job as a Linux System
> Administrator.....
>
> Other companies take PDFs and strip all formatting, as I discovered to
> my detriment....

The agencies have databases in which they keep their candidates. Those
databases often only have one import option - "Word Doc". So while it's
easy to point the finger and laugh or berate the agency for requesting a
Word Doc, they're just using the tools they have. The vast majority of
people applying for jobs are okay with this and will submit in that format.

Cheers,
--
Alan Pope
Engineering Manager