Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] The future of Linux / career advice
On Wed, 13 Feb 2013 16:31:53 +0000
Ally Biggs <bluechrome@???> wrote:

> So how did you guys learn Linux?

by installing it and using it!!

> Has anyone else made the transition from Windows? Or what are the key
> areas to focus on to develop a good foundation. Need some inspiration
> if I go down the Linux route would I be missing out on much? Please
> help me resolve the tug of war it is driving me mad :)

I have never used Windows on any computer I have owned (other than the
ones my wife uses and I have to fix occasionally for her) I migrated
from CP/M to OS/2 to an early version of Linux on a stack of floppies
I'd downloaded.

I made a permanent move from OS/2 Warp when IBM decided not to support
home users any longer and have never regretted the move. As most
oldtimers in HantsLUG know I am a bit of a Debian fan(atic).

I use the command line for most admin tasks, I do use gui tools
from time to time but mc is my best friend ;-)

I am not a programmer of any sort and am only just about capable of
managing my vps at Bitfolk without needing much help. But I like it
that Linux avoids the need to me to pay the Microsoft tax!

Having said that I do have a Mac Mini and recently paid for an upgrade
to OS/X Snow Leopard. I don't use it a lot but it was a gift and it is
enough like a unix box for me to find it acceptable.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server