Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up
Fintan Gaughan wrote:
> your set up.
>

> what's your set up at home? do you have a mail server website server?
> if so what's distro?
>
> I have 3 pc's at home
>
> 1 has windows duel booted with Debian (was fedora for a number of years)
> 1 pc spare to try out different distros practise and to take to lug
> 1 pc old just (Pentium II) sits their doing nothing.
>
> I know you could use old one for firewall but I have one in built in
> router.
> I am thinking of using old one to host my blog when hosting runs out
> with 1and1.co.uk. also install mail server so I can ssh from work or
> where ever I am to use mutt to read emails.
> Also use it to read newsgroup using slrn and raggle to read blogs.
> I can set up all these no problem except mail server as I can't get
> round how to get it working. Don't understand MX and the likes 1and1
> FAQ on mx confusing as hell and the picture tutorials looks nothing
> like mine when I want to set up MX.
>
> Would like a step by step instructions' or any good links to get me
> started?
>
> oh by the way it will Debian installed but I am happy to use any distro
> :-)
>
> Fintan

I have 6 PCs:

1 x Main Desktop: Used by my partner mainly, she uses Windows XP
2 x Toshiba Laptops: Used by the eldest two kids, both running XP
1 x HP Laptop: About to get a Gentoo Linux install as my partner would
like to have a play and chose to make things difficult
1 x Compaq nx7010: My work laptop, currently dual boots XP and Ubuntu
1 x Server: Actually a desktop PC, running ClarkConnect Linux

ClarkConnect is exceptionally easy to set up as a mail and web server,
that's pretty much what it was built for. Doesn't use X at all, it's all
configured via a web interface. There's lots of extra features such as
CUPS, proxy server and FTP built in too.

My server is a 1GHz Athlon with 512MB RAM, but I used to run it on a
233MHz machine with only 64MB RAM and it was absolutely fine :)

James