Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

Top Page
Author: Steve Kemp
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Your Set Up

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5820f100.hantslug.org.uk.19028': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Feb 21 23:06:16 2007 GMT
gpg: using DSA key C0CFC6B3CD4C0D9D
On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 03:38:00PM +0000, Fintan Gaughan wrote:

> what's your set up at home? do you have a mail server website server?
> if so what's distro?

All my machines run Debian Sid, and I currently have four, a pair
of desktops and a pair of laptops:

mine.my.flat - Machine I use for daily surfing, and development work.
It runs Xen with multiple domains, "cfmaster" for running the
CFEngine setup I use for managing my machines, "yawns" for a CMS
demo, "builder" for back-porting packages to Sarge.
(This is my first 64 bit machine. Nice.)

yours.my.flat - Machine with a fair amount of storage, primarily
used to perform remote backups of two dedicated hosts located in London
(with rsnapshot).
Also used as a desktop machine by my girlfriend when she wants to
come over without her own laptop. (Hence the names; "mine" for me,
"yours" for her!)

lappy.my.flat - Dell Inspiron laptop, used for development/surfing
from the sofa or bed. Doesn't get used more than one night a week
but very nice when it is!

steve.my.flat - Machine provided by work. Used during business hours
only.

The two desktops are on 24x7 - the backup machine takes remote backups
every three hours. I don't want to lose stuff. The desktop machine of
my own is mostly on for convenience, and so that the cfengine magic
works around the clock. (That manages my local machines; and also the
two dedicated servers in London.)

The laptops are only turned on whilst I use them.

Steve