Re: [Hampshire] Accessing a scanner via the LAN

Author: Daniel Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Accessing a scanner via the LAN
Mike Burrows wrote:
> Tried that already I'm afraid. The thing is, if I understand this
> right, the scanner is using the Linux box simply to connect to the LAN
> and is not hosted in the same way as samba is hosting a printer. In
> other words, is it true to say that the scanner is part of the MSHOME
> workgroup?

No. saned communicates over TCP/IP, not SMB/NetBIOS which is what defines
workgroups.

Windows does however use NetBIOS names for TCP/IP name resolution and so you
should be able to use just the Samba hostname to refer to the box, if your Samba
daemon is up and running. Ignore workgroup names; as far as I can tell they only
affect network browsing.

I don't think you do understand it right, though. Apart from the protocol stack
in use, there's no difference at a conceptual level.

Dan