Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop

Author: Joseph Bennie
To: hampshire@mailman.lug.org.uk User Group, General Linux/Unix community List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop

On 11 Sep 2014, at 13:50, Chris Malton <chrism@???> wrote:

> *** Disclaimer: I work for an ISP with a number of techies. ***
>
> We're going towards an Xubuntu 14.04 house at my office (both on desktop and laptop).
> As one of the other comments notes, XFCE-based Mint might also work well.
>
> We find that, in general with Xubuntu:
> - XFCE is a bit like Windows (in so much as having a start menu - things are generally findable.
> - LibreOffice is available (and I recommend removing Abiword and Gnumeric and replacing them with Libreoffice)
> - Evince seems to work as a PDF reader for 99% of documents.
> - The built in media player isn't great, but there's always VLC.
> - Thunderbird seems to perform well for most IMAP setups - wouldn't recommend it in an Exchange environment unless your IT department enables IMAP though.
> - For Calendar, I use Lightning in Thunderbird (and that's standard in our business).
>
> Of course, that's just our feelings.

I think the apps are coming up by consensus are as you suggest: Evince, LibreOffice, VLC, Firefox, Thunderbird, Lightning with IceDove.
and for the base Debian or a Debian derivative (specifically Xubuntu has been +10’d) for the core and either XFCE or MATE as the desktop.

Thanks every one. I’m off to role some test VM’s