Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop

Author: Chris Malton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop
*** Disclaimer: I work for an ISP with a number of techies. ***

We're going towards an Xubuntu 14.04 house at my office (both on desktop
and laptop).
As one of the other comments notes, XFCE-based Mint might also work
well.

We find that, in general with Xubuntu:
- XFCE is a bit like Windows (in so much as having a start menu - things
are generally findable.
- LibreOffice is available (and I recommend removing Abiword and
Gnumeric and replacing them with Libreoffice)
- Evince seems to work as a PDF reader for 99% of documents.
- The built in media player isn't great, but there's always VLC.
- Thunderbird seems to perform well for most IMAP setups - wouldn't
recommend it in an Exchange environment unless your IT department
enables IMAP though.
- For Calendar, I use Lightning in Thunderbird (and that's standard in
our business).

Of course, that's just our feelings.

Regards,

Chris