Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop
> a understandable desktop - without 3D fanfare and indexed searching widgets (i.e. no resources sucking frills that would tax an aged/slow 2.5" 5000rpm hard drive / bog standard hardware)
> core business apps i.e. LibreOffice 4.3.x
> a fully functioning version of firefox with flash and java compatibility
> a PDF reader
> a good media player.
> a solid imap mail client
> a usable ical compat calendar

At the risk of starting a distro war I use Gentoo at work and for my
main home machine. I would NOT recommend Gentoo to anyone who was
not a skilled hacker.

On smaller scratch machines (netbook and mini-itx bedroom browser),
for simple Web and Mail services I use Mint Xfce. Quick to install
and media players etc just work. Debian/Ubuntu based without some
of the baggage (ie allows doggy media player liciences but doesn't
upload searches to Amazon).
I think everything on your list is there although I've never played
with Ical.

Other distros and desktops are available.

--
        Bob Dunlop