Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: list, General Linux/Unix community List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] best distro for a small business laptop

There are always a hundred and one answers to questions like this.
This is mine. YMMV.

I tend to use Ubuntu LTS as most stuff works OK and the LTS means few
nasty surprises. Both my wife and I dislike the Unity desktop, but the
gnome-fallback option uses a more conventional desktop. Unity, should
one want it, offers a 2D presentation that should use less resource.

Another candidate worth a look as it's aimed specifically at small and
efficient, rather than bling, is PuppyLinux. It also has an LTS version.

I use vlc as a media player as it's simply, well behaved, and seems to
play just about everything.

Thunderbird should do IMAP and iCal OK, I believe. It certainly does the
former, I've not used the latter.

Gordon.