Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Gordon Scott
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
Hi Adam,

If it were me doing this, which of course it isn't, I'd likely make the
old machine into NAS for bulk storage using perhaps a couple of xTB
discs in a mirrored raid, and have just one flash or the desktop itself.
The old machine should be plenty good enough for that, probably even
with the clock speed reduced to conserve power.

Flash drives aren't _necessarily_ either faster or more reliable than
spinning rust.

On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 08:58 +0100, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> it's tiny 120 Gig hard disk

:-)

Hm, the first hard drive I used was the size of an industrial
top-loading washing machine, had a massive 5MB fixed + 5MB removable
cassette and changing the cassette took half a day to spin down and up
again.

> nothing is ever cheap...

Obviously my experiences go back further than yours. I think most stuff
today is very cheap, some of it remarkably, even alarmingly, so.
Especially in electronics!

Gordon.