Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Gordon Scott
CC: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57dd6100.hantslug.org.uk.7555': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Sep 27 10:17:30 2013 BST
gpg: using RSA key 9CDA8911AF0DB8C8
On Friday 27 Sep 2013, Gordon Scott wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> If it were me doing this, which of course it isn't, I'd likely make the
> old machine into NAS for bulk storage using perhaps a couple of xTB
> discs in a mirrored raid, and have just one flash or the desktop itself.
> The old machine should be plenty good enough for that, probably even
> with the clock speed reduced to conserve power.

I've already got a "home server" which caries most stuff, but I use that more
as a backup/duplicate store than directly as a file server. It has always been
a plan to put more space into it and then use it more as a traditional file
server.

The old box is probably going into the living room to drive the TV eventually,
so it's not going into scrap.

> Flash drives aren't _necessarily_ either faster or more reliable than
> spinning rust.

True, but they it's not as if spinners are more reliable either...

> On Fri, 2013-09-27 at 08:58 +0100, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> > it's tiny 120 Gig hard disk
> :
> :-)
>
> Hm, the first hard drive I used was the size of an industrial
> top-loading washing machine, had a massive 5MB fixed + 5MB removable
> cassette and changing the cassette took half a day to spin down and up
> again.

Indeed, they have got physically smaller while holding more data than you
thought was possible to have. However demands have grown even faster than
anyone expected, I generate over 100 Mb of photo data per day and that's only
snaps...

> > nothing is ever cheap...
>
> Obviously my experiences go back further than yours. I think most stuff
> today is very cheap, some of it remarkably, even alarmingly, so.
> Especially in electronics!

Indeed, the first computer I bought with my own money cost over $3000 and that
was before I added stuff to it, which probably brought the final price to more
like $4000. (I was in the US so assume $1=£1 even though it shouldn't). The
machine I got to replace that (the one I'm planning on replacing) cost around
£800, which is obviously a fraction of the price and was at least an order of
magnitude faster/bigger.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon