Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Author: Samuel Penn
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box
On 2013-09-27 08:58, Dr A. J. Trickett wrote:
> Given the amount of RAM on the system I was also planning on no swap
> partition
> and if I need swap (which I doubt) I'd use a large swap file.

There's an argument that swap is always useful on a PC, regardless of
how much
RAM you have. Linux will happily use any spare memory as a file cache.

You may only be using 8GB of that 16GB for applications, but if Linux
decides
that swapping out 4GB of applications to make way for 12GB of file
cache is
going to be more efficient, having swap around can be useful.

YMMV, depending on what you're doing of course, and there's been plenty
of
flame wars on the subject.

Personally, I still use swap. Disc space is cheap.

--
Be seeing you,
Sam.