Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] disk types and layout on a new box

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x573a6100.hantslug.org.uk.12157': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Oct 4 17:36:59 2013 BST
gpg: using RSA key 9CDA8911AF0DB8C8

> > I don't think the 180 GB drive is large enough on it's own, so I could
> > get a pair of them and then LVM them together and put a single ext4 over
> > the two.
>
> I know you say later in the thread that you backup all your
> important stuff, but for me, the lost productivity involved in a
> disk failure is worth a lot more than the cost of the disk itself.

I understand what you are saying, and so my home server is on a mirrored pair.

However I'm more likely to delete something by accident than have a drive
failure. I've only ever had one drive go bad at home in 15 years, even then
SMART let me know and I was able to buy a new drive and rebuild the mirror
without any down time, but I've deleted stuff I didn't want to many times.

As a result I use rsnapshot several times during the day and then daily and
weekly, which does eat up space on the server but has proved fantastically
useful on several occasions!

I completely understand your view but I think that desktops/laptops are where
I DO NOT keep important things, it's only local high speed working space.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Despite all its complexity, fuzziness, uncertainty and spooky action-
at-a-distance, quantum mechanics is probably a Good Thing.  However, I
must also note that QM permits Microsoft Windows to exist.
    -- John Walker