Re: [Hampshire] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files
On Mon, 13 May 2013 17:39:17 +0100 (BST)
"Vic" <lug@???> wrote:

> I've just tried it with Okular doing the PDF work and Konqueror doing
> the tabbed interface. Works beautifully...

Don't both these need lots of KDE libs, I try to avoid mixing apps from
Gnome & Kde based distros

> > The problem is that acroread is a 32 bit application
>
> The fundamental problem is that acroread is a non-Free application.
> That means you are beholden to what Adobe wants to give you. And they
> don't want to give you what you want.

There is a possible long term problem with the way Adobe is looking at
providing software and it is possible acroread will vanish into the
'clouds.

> Any particular reason you're averse to a Free solution?

No providing there is one that will give me the functionality I need. I
wouldn't ever need the spreadsheet from MS Office for example because
libreoffice is quite good enough for my simple needs.

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server