Re: [Hampshire] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ad2100.hantslug.org.uk.30325': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon May 13 21:14:11 2013 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:11:17PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> For quite a few years I've used (non-free) acroread to access these
> files quite simply because the free readers (evince, xpdf, et al) just
> aint good enough.

I hear that! I have recently had to install Acrobat on a machine because
wifey has to maintain some pdf files provided by education boards and no
other PDF reader works just right, so I feel your pain!

> > dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of adobereader-enu:
> > adobereader-enu depends on libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.4); however:
> > Package libgtk2.0-0:i386 is not installed.
> >
> > dpkg: error processing adobereader-enu (--install):
> > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > Processing triggers for man-db ...
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> > adobereader-enu
>
> and it isn't possible to install libgtk2.0-0:i386 as trying to do so
> requires installation of 55 other packages but that throws up another
> error

> > libc6 : Breaks: libc6:i386 (!= 2.17-2) but 2.17-1 is to be installed.
> > libc6:i386 : Breaks: libc6 (!= 2.17-1) but 2.17-2 is installed.

This doesn't look like a problem on your system, but the fact that on
sid the 64-bit build of libc6 is currently slightly ahead of the 32-bit
build. You can see this here:-

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libc6

2.17-2: amd64 armhf powerpc s390 s390x
2.17-1: armel i386 sparc

Ok, so what this is telling me is that you have a 64-bit system which
has libc6:amd64 2.17-2 but you want to pull in the latest libc6:i386 to
satisfy the dependency for installing the other 32-bit packages (such as
libgtk2.0-0:i386) which you need for Acrobat.

I see two "solutions" (well there are many solutions, but the two most
straightforward):-

1. Wait for whatever issue is holding up the 32-bit build of 2.17-2 of
libc6.
2. Downgrade libc6:amd64 to 2.17-1 so you can then install libc6:i386
thus:-

apt-get install libc6:amd64=2.17-1

You can also just "simulate" this operation safely with:-

apt-get install -s libc6:amd64=2.17-1

Chances are some other package or two may need to be downgraded also.
It's only a minor bump so theoretically it should be much to be
downgraded, and you can do them all in one go with:-

apt-get install libc6:amd64=2.17-1 foo:amd64=1.2.3 bar:amd64=4.5.6

etc (replacing foo and bar with package names and 1.2.3 and 4.5.6 with
the version numbers apt asks for). Again, use -s to simulate to see if
it will come up with a sane solution.

Once you've done that you'll have libc6:amd64 on 2.17-1 and can happily
install libc6:i386 version 2.17-1 too.

Note: if you "apt-get upgrade" or "dist-upgrade" (or use equivalent
tools like aptitude or synaptic to effect the same thing) you will end
up upgrading libc6:amd64 to 2.17-2, or in fact it may just hold that
back because you also need libc6:i386 to be held back for the acrobat
dependency to fulfil.

> It isn't the first time I've had problems using 32 bit libs on a 64 bit
> system but in the past I've been able to find a solution. I lost the 32
> bit libs by a bit of careless clicking whilst doing an update ;-(

Now we're in a new multiarch world you should be able to install
individual 32-bit libraries as required. The skew you're seeing is the
pitfall of running sid I fear.

Hope that helps.
Al.