Re: [Hampshire] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Accessing genealogy data on PDF files
On Tue, 14 May 2013 00:51:09 +0100
James Courtier-Dutton <james.dutton@???> wrote:

> If the pdf is large, you can always cut it up into more than one file.
> Is it text searchable, or is it scanned pages?

Mostly text searchable, although there are some that have been
scanned. There have been no problems opening/reading them with acroread.

qpdfview got shutdown by the kernel -

> May 14 03:00:34 benden kernel: [2192228.644260] Out of memory: Kill
> process 31591 (qpdfview) score 384 or sacrifice child

> May 14 03:00:34 benden kernel: [2192228.644267] Killed process 31591
> (qpdfview) total-vm:1559352kB, anon-rss:986012kB, file-rss:6344kB

I had noticed everything was really sluggish before I went to bed and
notice qpdfview was missing form its workspace this morning.

I downloaded Foxit but when I try to run it (by clicking on the
Gnome menu item) nothing seems to happen apart from "Starting
Foxitreader" appearing.

Will have to find out what the prog is actually called and try running
from the command line to see what errors show up - but breakfast first!

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server