Re: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Advice please: disk bottle neck
Hi everyone,

Just to resurrect this thread and let you know what happened.

I tried rsyncing the contents of my system partition to a new
partition on the same disk and surprisingly that gave a significant
speed-up, around 10-20% at a guess. This is with ext4 fs. Not sure why
that would be, but perhaps different placement on the platter meant
less head movement, or defragmentation if that affects ext4?

THEN I splashed out £40 at eBuyer for a 60GB OCZ SSD. I put the old
system disk into an external caddy on USB with all my data, so the SSD
is just for the system. Wow! Start-up times for the computer and for
applications are fantastic (about 45 seconds from power on to using
firefox, of which the first 10s or so are for POST and grub, compared
with over 2 minutes total before). The CPU is now maxed out (all four
cores) and the disk activity indicator hardly flickers.

Time will tell if reliability is a problem, but I figure that keeping
my precious data on the original spinning medium lessens the impact of
SSD failure (plus everything is kept backed up to another disk and to
Wuala anyway).

CONCLUSION: £40 well spent!!

HTH, Peter