Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue
On 25/06/12 08:57, Bob Dunlop wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Jun 25 at 08:30, Sean Gibbins wrote:
>> When the NB200 was connected to the mains via its charger a very audible
>> high-pitched whine would be introduced to the recording. However, by
>> doing the recording on battery power and the whine disappeared. At the
>> time I put it down to a badly shielded PSU made do with the workaround.
> First thought from the 80s is "earth loop" between the deck and PP-3, the
> PP-3 electronics being grounded via the USB lead/PC/MAC.
>
> Try disconnecting the earth wire in the plug for your deck. Caution this
> defeats a layer of electrical safety on the deck but we used to do it all
> the time back then.

Thanks Bob and indeed all who responded. It seems there are a number of
things I can try to see if I can get a permanent solution to the
underlying problem. When I get time to implement them I'll post back if
any are successful.

Cheers,

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk