Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue
On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:11 +0100, john lewis wrote:
> My wife was recently given a Toshiba Keyboard EZ-200 that has no
> built-in recording facility. Only outputs are headphone and midi.
>
> Is it possible to link this keyboard to a PC so she could record any
> mind-blowing compositions she might come up with?

There are a number of MIDI->USB devices available and Linux supports
generic USB-MIDI, so in principle it should work OK. I _suspect_ that
most will work 'out of the box', but as usual it's sensible to try and
prove that.

The cheapest two from DV247.com both claim 'class compliant' or 'no
drivers needed for Windows/OSX'
http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/icon-midiport-usb-midi-interface--79115
http://www.dv247.com/cables/esi-midimate-ii-cable-style-usb-2-0-midi-interface--65367

If you have a sound card with a 5-pin DIN, it may support MIDI that way,
too.

There are lots of MIDI players, though it isn't always so easy to get
them working properly, owing I think to some flux between Jack and Alsa.

Of course the sounds vary as you're recording the commands, not the
audio.

BTW, I use "PianoTeq Play",which is a good piano modeller and runs on
Linux. Needs a reasonably quick CPU to avoid drop-outs. Commercial, but
low cost and very convincing.
http://www.pianoteq.com/

G.