Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue
On 06/25/2012 03:31 PM, Gordon Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-06-25 at 15:11 +0100, john lewis wrote:
>> My wife was recently given a Toshiba Keyboard EZ-200 that has no
>> built-in recording facility. Only outputs are headphone and midi.
>>
>> Is it possible to link this keyboard to a PC so she could record any
>> mind-blowing compositions she might come up with?
> There are a number of MIDI->USB devices available and Linux supports
> generic USB-MIDI, so in principle it should work OK. I _suspect_ that
> most will work 'out of the box', but as usual it's sensible to try and
> prove that.
>
> The cheapest two from DV247.com both claim 'class compliant' or 'no
> drivers needed for Windows/OSX'
> http://www.dv247.com/computer-hardware/icon-midiport-usb-midi-interface--79115
> http://www.dv247.com/cables/esi-midimate-ii-cable-style-usb-2-0-midi-interface--65367
>
> If you have a sound card with a 5-pin DIN, it may support MIDI that way,
> too.
>
> There are lots of MIDI players, though it isn't always so easy to get
> them working properly, owing I think to some flux between Jack and Alsa.
>
> Of course the sounds vary as you're recording the commands, not the
> audio.
>
> BTW, I use "PianoTeq Play",which is a good piano modeller and runs on
> Linux. Needs a reasonably quick CPU to avoid drop-outs. Commercial, but
> low cost and very convincing.
> http://www.pianoteq.com/
>
> G.
>

> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???

I have a couple of M-Audio midi keyboards and a Roland digital piano,
All work out of the box with Linux, via USB-midi. The research I did
when buying these suggested that most midi keyboards are class
compliant and work with Linux. I haven't tried midi via a dedicated
midi lead, but I gather that usually works too.

I also use Pianoteq - I have the standard version - Pianoteq Play
wasn't out when I bought it. Pianoteq has a record button, you
don't need any extra software to record from it.

MikeD