Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue

Author: Nigel Long
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Xubuntu 12.04/Mac OS X 10.6.8 sound issue
I have had almost exactly the same problem with my recording setup. I
got a background whine when using my Toshiba 650 laptop on mains but
much less on my Dell D600. Both connect through a Behringer 202 DAC to
my amplifier and turntable. The problem manifests in both Linux Mint
(now running 13) and Windows XP. I solved it in part by moving the earth
strap on the turntable to another point in the system - actually a 13
amp plug in the wall! It made no sense since an earth loop should be
much lower in frequency(?) but it worked for me. It also made a
difference if the DAC was only connected for input to the laptop rather
than both input/output.

If any of this helps I'd be very interested.

Nigel Long