[Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chi…

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chips
Hi,

Either later this year or next year I may replace my 7 year old desktop
systems. They are currently running first generation single-core AMD64
processors with 2 GiB of RAM.

Times clearly have moved on and I am well aware that Intel have caught up and
overtaken AMD in the raw performance stakes but I'm not interested in the
fastest, rather the relative merits at the mid to lower end of the market.

Does anyone have data on the ralative perfomance of an Intel Core i3 family
and the AMD A6. For example all other things being equal (which they are not,
but let's prenend they are) a PC with an AMD A6-3850 (quad core x 2.9 GHz) and
an Intel i3-2130 (dual core x 3.4 GHz) are the same price. Both feature on die
graphics and can use the same DDR3 RAM upto the same maximum.

On paper it looks like the Intel will be faster an single core tasks given
it's higher clock speed but the AMD should be better when you can spread your
tasks over processor cores.

Just looking for approximate relative performance opinions on desktop
computers CPUS againts regular tasks. I'm not playing lots of games, rendering
3D images or doing anything heavy duty, I just want a computer that is fast
today and will remain fast running KDE4/Gnome3 type desktops for several years
to come.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon