Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel…

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: john lewis
CC: Hants LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chips
John,

On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 at 03:05:49PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:41:04 +0100
> "Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:
>
> > Either later this year or next year I may replace my 7 year old
> > desktop systems. They are currently running first generation
> > single-core AMD64 processors with 2 GiB of RAM.
>
> Clearly you are not taking any notice of the media types who are
> predicting the death of desktop systems any time soon!!

Without wishing to start a flame war, the ergonomics of laptopts
are terrible and a proper IBM keyboard and decent rackball and
good sized real display is the best way to do office/serious work.
Laptops are okay as toys and I like mine but I wouldn't want to
work from one...!

> Speaking personally I will never replace my desktop systems with
> laptops, tablets and the like, nor will I use 'cloud computing' with
> remote applications/storage. I do make occasional use of a laptop
> or my netbook but the tower under my desk with a decent keyboard
> and monitor is _always_ going to be my primary system.

I'm with you all the way!

> I was hoping my current systems will keep going as long as I'll need
> them but the old 686 system I've been using as my Geneweb server died
> at the weekend. I was able to transfer the hard drive into another box*
> so didn't lose any data, but will need to ensure the data is backed up
> to more that the hard drive on my main system.

Alas hardware with moving parts doesn't last forever, and even if
the hardware lasts a long time, software support for some bits
does eventually drop off. However I do keep hardware longer than
most* and I'm proud of my kit's longevity.

* General population not this group I suspect.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

There seems to be something wrong with our ships today.
    -- Rear-admiral Sir David Beatty, on seeing the Queen Mary
        and the Indefatigable destroyed at the Battle of Jutland