Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel…

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chips
On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:41:04 +0100
"Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> Either later this year or next year I may replace my 7 year old
> desktop systems. They are currently running first generation
> single-core AMD64 processors with 2 GiB of RAM.

Clearly you are not taking any notice of the media types who are
predicting the death of desktop systems any time soon!!

Speaking personally I will never replace my desktop systems with
laptops, tablets and the like, nor will I use 'cloud computing' with
remote applications/storage. I do make occasional use of a laptop
or my netbook but the tower under my desk with a decent keyboard
and monitor is _always_ going to be my primary system.

I was hoping my current systems will keep going as long as I'll need
them but the old 686 system I've been using as my Geneweb server died
at the weekend. I was able to transfer the hard drive into another box*
so didn't lose any data, but will need to ensure the data is backed up
to more that the hard drive on my main system.

* this box was used as a backup for both the geneweb server and the
main system, so I'm hoping I can get the old 386 system box running
again on a spare motherboard I had up in the attic.

I'll be happy if I'm still around in ten years time but I'm unlikely to
be around 20 years from now and even less likely to be actively
using a computer then so don't really care which way the future of
computing is going.

Though having said that a friend of my wife is still churning out
letters etc on her portable typewriter at the age of 105 (plus making
sure her husband who suffers from Altzeimers disease doesn't come to
grief).

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server