Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel…

Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: NeilS
CC: Hants LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chips
Neil,

> > Either later this year or next year I may replace my 7 year old desktop
> > systems. They are currently running first generation single-core AMD64
> > processors with 2 GiB of RAM.
>
> Just anecdotal evidence, but I just recently upgraded my 4 year old
> Intel Core 2 Quad to a Core i5 3750k. My needs are a bit different to
> yours as I do a lot of FPGA synthesis but I found best case my build
> times decreased to roughly a quarter what they were before. However,
> probably the biggest contributor to that was the switch from DDR2 to
> DDR3.

I noiced my 1.3GHz Celeron with DDR2 is faster than my 2.6GHz
Athlon64 with plain DDR. I expect going from single core to quad
core and DDR to DDR3 should make the box a lot faster, irrelavent
of the actual CPU I pick.

> While researching, I ruled out the current generation of AMD processors
> as they apparently have a relatively long instruction pipeline which
> compromises branch prediction a fair bit. There are some tasks where
> they can perform on a par with Intel but they don't for the sort of
> things I do.

I had also gathered that at official price for price AMD
processors are not competative with Intel, but official and real
prices are different. I gather the AMDs have better GPU
performance than Intel, but that's about it.

> I found the i5 Ivy Bridge to be a good compromise for cost as they are
> currently about £80 cheaper then the i7 equivalents at the expense of a
> little on board cache and support for Hyper Threading. (I also have a
> dual-core Intel Atom with Hyper Threading and in my opinion, it has no
> real impact at all on performance with the Linux Kernel.)

Thanks, useful input.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I never really understood how there could be things that would
drive you insane just because you knew them until I ran into Windows.
    -- anon