Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel…

Author: Tim Brocklehurst
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chips
Ah, I remember this question (search back in the archives a bit and you'll find
lots of relevant info from when I was trying to choose a laptop).

I think (though this is not based of anything other than hear-say), that the
A6 and the i3 are probably pretty comparable overall. Looking to laptop-type
applications the graphics is better with the AMD, so I'd go with that;
however, if you're not worried about the graphics, I would seriously consider
an i5 if you can afford (Ebuyer and special offers are good), or one of the
"big" desktop processors (Bulldozer (or even opteron) or i7), if you're not
interested in laptop-type applications.

For top-end stuff, we (at work) find that AMD gives better price-performance if
you can run across many cores, whereas Intel gives fewer, faster cores, at
greater cost. Which is appropriate depends entirely on what you're trying to
do. This seems to hold true across the rest of their product ranges as well.

For most desktop tasks, you won't notice much difference, but faster cores are
probably preferable.

Tim B.