Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel…

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Relative performance on curent AMD and Intel chips
** Dr A. J. Trickett <adam.trickett@???> [2012-06-06 15:24]:
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2012 at 03:05:49PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 16:41:04 +0100
> > "Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

<snip>
> Without wishing to start a flame war, the ergonomics of laptopts
> are terrible and a proper IBM keyboard and decent rackball and
> good sized real display is the best way to do office/serious work.
> Laptops are okay as toys and I like mine but I wouldn't want to
> work from one...!

Likewise, although I tend to use a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard with the curve
to it as I quite like the angle it provides for holding my arms while typing -
the modern ones aren't as good as the originals though which had a more
pronounced angle. That said, I do find the issue with a laptop/netbook is as
much where I use it as the device itself. When used on a desktop it isn't as
bad, and the lack of a numeric keypad does put the mouse/trackball in a more
comfortable place - if I could find a nice keyboard with no numeric keypad I'd
probable be quite happy with that, but they all try to cram as much as possible
into the space they do use and mess up the positioning of some critical keys,
like ctrl and the cursor keys :(

> > Speaking personally I will never replace my desktop systems with
> > laptops, tablets and the like, nor will I use 'cloud computing' with
> > remote applications/storage. I do make occasional use of a laptop
> > or my netbook but the tower under my desk with a decent keyboard
> > and monitor is _always_ going to be my primary system.
>
> I'm with you all the way!

Likewise, I like my dual monitors and the extra distance between the screen and keyboard.

> > I was hoping my current systems will keep going as long as I'll need
> > them but the old 686 system I've been using as my Geneweb server died
> > at the weekend. I was able to transfer the hard drive into another box*
> > so didn't lose any data, but will need to ensure the data is backed up
> > to more that the hard drive on my main system.
>
> Alas hardware with moving parts doesn't last forever, and even if
> the hardware lasts a long time, software support for some bits
> does eventually drop off. However I do keep hardware longer than
> most* and I'm proud of my kit's longevity.
>
> * General population not this group I suspect.

Glad you added that :) Until about a year to 18 months ago (I think) on of my
servers was running a Celeron 366, although I have two Atom 330 boards for them
now. I still have a dual processor P4 500 board, though likely got rid of in my
clearout I suspect, and my own desktop has only been upgraded to an AMD A4-3400
due to the fact that I had trouble getting Linux on it for a customer and ended
up using it myself and buying another board for the build - hence I'm the one
having fun with onboard Radeon graphics, likely made worse by an addon Radeon
card to dual screen with!

I also have a few Geode based boxes to play with, although my original plans
for them have slipped a bit having not found the time to work with them and
recently bought a new router with native IPv6 - I'm already for IPv6 day here,
although Apache needs upgrading on my external web server to support the IPv6
the Linux install is working with :(

** end quote [Dr A. J. Trickett]

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: