Re: [Hampshire] UEFI booting woes

Author: Martin N
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] UEFI booting woes
When building a new desktop it would thus be a
good idea to look for windows 7 compatibility which means
that secure boot can be turned off then.

OK thanks

Martin

At 22:19 10/11/2014, you wrote:
>No version of windows will leave dirty
>footprints in your BIOS, secure boot is already
>baked into the bios and is a requirement for it
>to be deemed windows 8 compatible by Microsoft.
>Which is basically any computer you can buy
>these days. Older windows OSs will suffer the
>same problem as most Linux distros in that they
>will not boot with secure boot enabled. As far
>as I know only windows 8 and a few select Linux
>distros will boot on a computer with secure boot
>enabled. So it will not matter if you can get a
>computer with or without windows installed on
>it, if it is windows 8 compatible it will have secure boot on it.
>
>Note that it is also a requirement by Microsoft
>on x86_64 computers that you must be able to
>turn off secure boot (though it is not always
>easy and there could be other problems with
>booting Linux). However on arm chips, the
>requirement is the opposite and you can not turn
>it off (so stay far away from any windows 8
>compatible arm computers you are thinking about
>turning into Linux boxes, such as the Microsoft surface tablet).

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to
purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706–1790)