Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?

Author: Gordon Scott
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?
On Tue, 2013-08-20 at 14:46 +0100, Michael Daffin wrote:

> I highly recommend learning python, it is easy to learn, available out
> of the box on just about every Linux distro which makes it the ideal
> language to write scripts in as it is highly likely that they will
> work on most Linux systems without needing to install many extra
> packages.

FWIW, most of the popular languages like those can also be run on
Windows or Mac. Certainly true of Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, Java.

> I also recommend learning how to use the vi editor as it is often the
> only editor on some systems and you will likely need to at least know
> how to use it.

I'd second that, but I'm biassed as vi (well vim these days) is my
editor of choice.

Initially is seems arcane and cryptic, but there are some good tutorials
out there that will get you going quite quickly. vi is one of a modest
number of editors that will work just fine either on the host machine,
or over a telnet or ssh session. pure vi is text only, vim hav a gui
flavour, gvim, that's easier to use, but allows you not to learn the
stuff you'll need via ssh.

> You should always use && instead of ; for that sequence of commands,
> as && will stop

That's good advice.
Stopping was why I always did it manually.
I see me using && in the future.

Gordon.