Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?

Author: Bob Dunlop
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?
Hi,

On Tue, Aug 20 at 12:12, Joseph Bennie wrote:
> for real programming tasks ? good old c and c++ ? if you can't solve a
> problem with c .. give up! ? and if you working with linux you do need to
> know what this will do and why ./configure & make & make install :)

Crash horribly and die in a non-repeatable manner.
It really isn't fair to give newbies broken examples without a warning.

Try this instead
    ./configure ; make ; make install
or
    ./configure && make && make install

Then try and work out what the differences between the three varients are.

As for how to break in, networking (the social sort, not computer networking)
is always a good idea. Go to meets and clubs, they are not for gurus only,
talk on mailing lists etc. My last three jobs have been from conversations
at meeting or triggered by remarks on LUG mail lists.

--
        Bob Dunlop