Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?
On 19/08/2013 23:12, Joseph Bennie wrote:

> for real programming tasks … good old c and c++

I'm a big proponent of C, but like Perl, it's sometimes rightly
described as a write-only language.

Whatever language(s) you end up using, try to discipline yourself to
write simply and tidily, and use white space generously. It's very
irritating, but also a complement, when someone looks at your code and
says "Oh, that's really simple. Even I could have written that!".

C is extremely capable, but also can very easily allow you to shoot
yourself in the foot. If you use C and your coding is done well that
should rarely happen. Two key phrases (IMHO), "defensive programming"
and "avoiding buffer overruns". Lots of potentially dangerous C
functions have safer versions .. compare strcpy() and strncpy(),
sprintf() and snprintf(), used, e.g., with sizeof().

> … if you can't solve a problem with c .. give up!

:-)

> Scripting and programming are different

Though the edges between scripting and interpreted languages and
compiled languages are very blurry.

I worry about 'too much information', but I'll throw another language
(pair) into the mix.
Have a look at Ruby and Ruby-On-Rails.
Ruby itself is an object-oriented language that has a neat and tidy
structure. Ruby-On-Rails is its web-server extension.
http://www.ruby-lang.org
http://rubyonrails.org/

Most of us have collected a number of languages over the years. We
prefer some to others and we're better at some than others.

--
This message was written elegantly and lucidly, by my own fair hand using a quill pen on hand laid parchment. It was then scanned, OCRed, spiel-chequed, then cat und pastied into this email.

If it's now just gibberish, it's the software's fault.