Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?

Author: James Bensley
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] How to get your foot in the door?
On 19 August 2013 23:53, Ally Biggs <bluechrome@???> wrote:
> Is this a good choice or should I stick with BASH scripting.

Bash scripting is just that, scripting. Python is a programming
language. Learn the difference between those two if you can. Both are
handy to know, Bash is great for automating basic system tasks but as
you try to automate more complex processes, Bash can become slow. It
is an interpreted language. There is a crossover point which you need
to figure out for your self, where writing a bash script to do
something is no longer useful because they run rather slow, or it
would be cumbersome. At that point you end up either writing Perl or
PHP scripts for example, or writing in Python or Ruby.

> I have a few goals which I want to delve into further.
>
> Apache web server
> Samba file server (setup D/C)
> Rsync and scheduling backups cron.
> Proxy server
> FTP server
> Administration / user management
> Firewall setting up IP tables
> SElinux configuration
> Media Server setup
> KVM virtualisation
> Unattended installations via kickstart

These are all things you can learn about by performing research on the
Internet yourself. If you have a spare machine or two at home, that is
obviously the easiest way, or if you can fire up some virtual
machines, you're laughing.

If you wanted to start working doing all this stuff, I would recommend
you get a job somewhere as a junior or as an admin's assistant etc.
Not only does it take time to learn these concepts and technologies,
how they are deployed in a business is usually a different approach.
If you spend some time with some seasoned sys ad's or similar, how
they deploy them will also be via a different approach again.

Best of luck and hopefully we'll see you at a meeting!

Cheers,
James.