[Hampshire] Most odd behaviour playing .ogg, YouTube, others…

Author: Gordon Scott
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Most odd behaviour playing .ogg, YouTube, others?
Hi Guys,

I have a strange behaviour that's recently started with .ogg and
YouTube. Maybe other formats.

When I play, the sound has the foreground vocal missing.
Background music is present, though often sounds 'odd' to a greater or
lesser extent, chorus vocals on songs are often there, there are
artefacts of the foreground vocal, maybe reverb or some such. But the
vocal itself is not there. It applies to music, talk, probably other
things. On YouTube the video seems OK.

This is happening on 10.04 LTS; there are no updates.
On 12.04 LTS it's OK and there are no updates.

I think it must be a library problem as it happens with several players
like totem, rhythmbox, gnome-mplayer and whatever plugin(s) Firefox
uses.

Anyone any idea if this is a general problem or purely local?
Anyone any idea how to fix it?

Kind regards,
               Gordon.