Re: [Hampshire] Most odd behaviour playing .ogg, YouTube, ot…

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Most odd behaviour playing .ogg, YouTube, others?
Hi Gordon,

Gordon Scott <gordon@???> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
>I have a strange behaviour that's recently started with .ogg and
>YouTube. Maybe other formats.
>
>When I play, the sound has the foreground vocal missing.
>Background music is present, though often sounds 'odd' to a greater or
>lesser extent, chorus vocals on songs are often there, there are
>artefacts of the foreground vocal, maybe reverb or some such. But the
>vocal itself is not there. It applies to music, talk, probably other
>things. On YouTube the video seems OK.

Is your sound card 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound capable? If so and you are using it with stereo speakers rather than a surround sound speaker rig then I think that may explain the symptoms you are seeing.

On a surround system, the mono component of the sound mix will probably be subtracted from the stereo mix and fed to the Centre channel (the speaker under the screen). Since the vocal is usually dead Centre of the mix, it is a prime candidate for being sent to the Centre channel (the prime purpose of the center speaker it's to localize the dialogue to the screen). I think what you are hearing from your stereo speakers is what's left after the Centre had been removed from the stereo.

If your sound card has multiple output sockets, try the other sockets and see if one of them has the Centre mix on it.

Also go to the output and hardware tab of the sound control panel. There may be a pull down menu there to tell the sound system what your speaker configuration is. Try selecting "stereo" or "2.0" (2 speakers and 0 subwoofers). Selecting that should stop the card from trying to form the Centre channel and leave the stereo mix intact.

Cheers,
Paul.