Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN][INI-STEM]Observations, improvements …

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [ADMIN][INI-STEM]Observations, improvements and initiatives

> Links with STEM: (subject line [ADMIN][INI-STEM])

>     Questions were raised on this point about CRB checks, and I still need to
> confirm the answer with STEMNET, but I do not think that for occasional
> meetings this will be a problem.

The government guidance seems to have moved; it used to say that CRB
checks were only to be used where the subject had "significant contact"
with children or vulnerable people. Indeed, the CRB used to say that
people should *not* have such checks unless they fit that criterion. I'll
see if such I can find the reference to see if such wording is current.

The Direct.gov guidance at
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Startinganewjob/DG_195809 says :-

"When you apply for certain types of job you may be asked to apply for a
criminal record check. These are generally jobs that mean you:

    will be working regularly with children
    will be working in certain activities with adults considered
vulnerable at that particular time
    will be working in healthcare
    have applied to be a foster carer, adoptive parent or childminder
    will be working in certain other professions (details of all these
professions are provided on the link below)"

As you can see, we do not fall into any of those categories. I for one
would be *very* adverse to having CRB checks foisted upon any of us;
they're not necessary, and it may even be unlawful to require them.

> However, younger members and vulnerable
> adults are advised to come to the meeting with a parent or guardian.

I think that is good guidance anyway.

Vic.