Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:39:23 +0100
cjl@??? wrote:

> Quoting Sean Gibbins <sean@???>:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux (or any other flavour of Linux -
> > I'm fairly agnostic in this regard) on a G4 Mac Mini.
> >
> > However, I am struggling to get past the first hurdle, which is to
> > get anything other than Mac OS X booting when I start it up!
> <SNIP>
>
> I've got Debian on my G4 Mac Mini, and IIRC, I used this guide:
> http://www.sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/

I used that link to try to install Debian on my Intel based Mac-mini
but failed miserably and gave up. Got a copy of snow-leopard and
reinstalled (to get rid of lots of stuff from the original owner) and am
now playing with Mac-Ports etc.

My Mac-mini has built-in wifi which just finds my D-Link router every
time I boot it up. Dunno about the G4 ones tho'

I did find that my Mac is unable to boot from an external usb
hard drive (having gone through the slight hassle of installing Debian
on said drive)

--
John Lewis
Debian & the GeneWeb genealogical data server