Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: Jan Henkins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
Hello Sean,

As far as I can tell, there is a G4 PowerPC version of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
available. Otherwise you could look at Debian.

Some quick links I stumbled across:

http://jpmens.net/2011/07/20/linux-on-a-mac-mini-g4/
http://wiki.ppckernel.org/w/Mac_Netboot
http://ppcluddite.blogspot.de/2012/03/installing-debian-linux-on-ppc-part-i.html

On 18/09/12 18:48, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux (or any other flavour of Linux -
> I'm fairly agnostic in this regard) on a G4 Mac Mini.
>
> However, I am struggling to get past the first hurdle, which is to get
> anything other than Mac OS X booting when I start it up!

You have to install a bootloader of some kind, just like on a normal PC.
Since this is a different architecture, you cannot use grub (although
grub seems to be supported on the current Intel Macs). I used to have an
old beige "old-world" Mac that ran MacOS 9, so I had to use a loader
called BootX to load the Linux kernel. The way on new-world Macs (G3 and
newer PPC chips) can be used with "yaboot" or something like that.

--

Regards,
Jan Henkins