[Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
Hi Folks,

I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux (or any other flavour of Linux - I'm
fairly agnostic in this regard) on a G4 Mac Mini.

However, I am struggling to get past the first hurdle, which is to get
anything other than Mac OS X booting when I start it up!

I have tried pressing c with the boot media in the drive, investigated
defining the optical drive as the boot drive within OS X, but nothing
works or presents itself as a possible solution.

The only other thing I have come across are recommendations that I need
the original install discs to boot from initially, but I imagine they
are long gone as this machine was purchased second hand.

The alternative to all of this malarkey is to get the drivers working
for the usb wifi card that my daughter bought (it's her machine, and
she checked for compatibility before she bought it), but they appear to
be fairly inadequate in that they don't appear to be accompanied by any
software that might enable me to configure the card to connect to my
network.

*sigh*

Anyone got any thoughts on how I might progress this, either way?

Sean

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk