Re: [Hampshire] Fwd: Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Fwd: Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
On 18/09/12 20:09, Victor Churchill wrote:
> I forwarded this query on to a mate who "does" Macs. With apologies to
> those who don't like top-posting and weird formatting, , this is his
> reply (mildly redacted)..
>> This came up on the LUG list and I wondered if you might know
>> anything about this, or is it the wrong kind of Mac?
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux (or any other flavour of Linux -
>> I'm fairly agnostic in this regard) on a G4 Mac Mini.
>
> Its a G4 so ie not Intel and hence I dont think it will work, its a
> Mac specific chip. IF he had a later version it would be possible to
> use bootcamp

Well, I am trying to install the Ubuntu PowerPC port, so in theory that
should work, /if/ I can get it to boot into anything other than the
installed OS (OS X 10.4.1).

---8<---snip-----

> He could take it to the Apple store they should be able to re install
> the original OS
>
>> The alternative to all of this malarkey is to get the drivers working
>> for the usb wifi card that my daughter bought (it's her machine, and
>> she checked for compatibility before she bought it), but they appear
>> to be fairly inadequate in that they don't appear to be accompanied
>> by any software that might enable me to configure the card to connect
>> to my network.
>
> That should not be that hard provided she runs it as a Mac and not
> Linux they are pretty good at talking to networks etc ITS UNIX after
> all ! and regardless of what the Linux people think its a very nice
> iteration even the older versions.
>

> Hope this might be of some help one way or another?

Possibly thanks Victor. I hadn't considered taking it to a store,
although I seriously wonder how much help I am likely to get with
anything this old.

As I say, I installed the drivers that came supplied with the usb wifi
device, but can't find any way to configure it to talk to my router. It
occurred to me that I might be able to do it from the command line using
ifconfig as I did in the old days with Linux, but I doubt my daughter
wants to faff around with that.

In theory I should be able to install the Ubuntu PowerPC [1] port on it,
and to be honest I think that's my preference given that I know a little
about that from the point of maintaining it, and Ellen is familiar with
it in its PC guise having used it on her laptop for several years.

Sean

[1] http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/12.04/release/ [scroll down]

--
music, film, comics, books, rants and drivel:

www.funkygibbins.me.uk