Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini

Author: Martin N
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux on a G4 Mac Mini
Lo,

At 18:48 18/09/2012, you wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>I am trying to install Ubuntu Linux (or any other flavour of Linux -
>I'm fairly agnostic in this regard) on a G4 Mac Mini.
>
>However, I am struggling to get past the first hurdle, which is to
>get anything other than Mac OS X booting when I start it up!
>
>I have tried pressing c with the boot media in the drive,
>investigated defining the optical drive as the boot drive within OS
>X, but nothing works or presents itself as a possible solution.

If C doesn't work try the option key and select with the mouse or tab
key the correct drive.

Mac mini G4 have optical drives seem to lose their cd reading booting
abilities before the DVD
goes.
If you can burn a cd ISO on to a dvd you may have more luck.

Ubuntu ppc worked fine for me as a live cd.
(I dual boot MorphOS and OS X)

Martin N

Running MorphOS v3.1 (July 2012) on a PowerPC Powerbook, Moderator of
MiniDisc,amithlonopen,bwfc Yahoogroups